Saturday 4 October 2014

Masks

Masks

~Steve (Angels)

Which is the real me?
I ask myself as I search through the masks
Those smashed to pieces in hate
And those born cracked and broken.

They scare me sometimes.
Empty chasms gaze out at me
Once there were eyes but now they are gone
I can’t remember what they looked like.

They all feel wrong somehow
Whenever I try them on
Smiles and frowns and tears and joy
Is this really me? It can’t be.

I am damaged the same as them
Just as the spider web of pain
Creeps across my soul
So does it across my many masks.

So where am I? I can’t tell they all look so real
The plastic has turned to spongy flesh
They are as broken as me
My eyes are empty pits.

Maybe one day I will find the real me
The mask that fits me
One I can show to the world

Broken as it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment